-1.3 C
Friday, January 21, 2022


- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

The Principal Members of the Family of High Chief (Dr.) O.B. Lulu-Briggs, comprising his 3 oldest sons, have finally broken their silence since their deceased father’s untimely death upon arrival at the Kotoka International Airport, Accra sometime in December 2018 under bizarre circumstances.

In an interview with the sons to hear their side of the story published by the widow of the deceased and their stepmother, Mrs. Seinye Lulu-Briggs, Chief Dumo Lulu-Briggs, Chief of the Lulu-Briggs family of the Abonema, Port Harcourt in the Rivers State of Nigeria and Chief mourner, speaking to the Daily Guide Newspaper said that the family saw their father the day before his trip to Accra and were not told that their step mother had planned to bring their ailing father to Accra on a purported vacation. They also discovered that their father, in spite of being sick, was locked up in an aircraft together with some other persons, for upwards of 5 hours at the Port Harcourt International Airport, under the pretext of waiting for a landing permit to travel to Accra. We have information that there was indeed a Landing Permit, duly issued with an Estimated Time of Arrival(ETA) at 1pm, Ghana time, on the 27th of December, 2018.

The family’s concern has been that their step mother surreptitiously travelled with their deceased father to Accra without as much a medical clearance to travel. Also, after their step mother who claimed to only realise on their arrival in Accra that her husband had passed on; that he was completely “motionless” to use her word, she failed to report the matter to the Ghana Immigration Service, or the Ghana Airports Authority Limited, and neither to airport police station for a Coroners inquest to be conducted as required by the laws of Ghana, considering that her husband died outside of a medical facility. Rather, she procured a medical cause of death certificate to be quickly issued, deposited the body of the deceased at Transitions Funeral Home and procured a permit to export the body of the deceased without the consent of the family of the deceased. The family, considering that their stepmother had a few years prior, withdrawn their father’s medication under the pretext that he had been healed, which led to their father being unable to speak or walk, were very worried about the behaviour of their stepmother. They were even more concerned when the widow, contrary to their native law and custom, refused to hand over the mortuary receipts and medical cause of the death certificate to the family, thus preventing the family of the deceased from taking the body, and had a memorial service for the deceased in Accra without the consent of the family of the deceased.

The principal members of the family reported the matter to the Nigeria Police Force who commenced an investigation into the circumstances of the death of our father, High Chief O.B. Lulu-Briggs OON, DCF. The Nigerian Police Force, through Interpol, came to Ghana to seek the assistance of the Ghana Police Service, CID to investigate the death of High Chief O.B. Lulu-Briggs. The Ghana Police obtained an order to conduct an autopsy on the deceased on Friday 12th July 2019, which autopsy was frustrated by lawyers for the widow, Kimathi and Partners. The Ghana police set another date for the autopsy and informed the parties at a meeting, which was subsequently confirmed by letter dated 15th July 2019. The contents of the letter issued by the Ghana Police was to the effect that the autopsy would be done at 37 Military Hospital by Col. (Dr.) Attoh and among other things, that 3 sets of samples would be taken from the deceased for examination; each party (the police, the widow and the family) getting one sample.

On Thursday, 18th July 2019, following an application to the High Court, Accra, presided over by Justice Eric Kyei Baffour, the Court adopted the aforesaid agreement of the parties as the Order of the Court, which said Order among other things confirmed that three sets of samples for examination would be taken during the autopsy and the Police shall take one sample while the two parties would also take one each if so requested.

Contrary to the aforesaid Order of the Court, in a rather bizarre twist of events, the autopsy was conducted by an interloper, a certain Dr. Lawrence Adusei instead of the named Col. (Dr.) Attoh. The said Dr. Adusei is known to be at the centre of various controversial autopsy reports including but not limited to the late Member of Parliament, J.B. Danquah, and Major Mahama. Dr. Lawrence Adusei, in blatant disregard for the aforesaid Court Order, took charge of the entire autopsy process, including conducting the autopsy and did not only refuse to take three (3) samples for examination but also emphatically denied the request of pathologists representing the sons of the deceased for a sample. In addition, he also refused entry into the theatre, the police pathologist from the Nigeria Police Force, AIG (Prof) Wilson Akhiwu, and the pathologist from the Ghana Police Service, in the person of Dr. Osei Owusu Afriyie, who had been mandated by the Ghana Police Service to observe the process. The principal members of the family have since petitioned the Director-General of the Criminal Investigations Division of the Ghana Police Service, regarding the highly irregular manner in which the autopsy was conducted.

The lawyer for the principal members of the family, Nana Agyei Baffour Awuah, of Sarkodie Baffour Awuah & Partners, upon getting credible information that the widow was planning to surreptitiously take the corpse outside of Ghana and beyond the reach of the family members of the deceased immediately after the autopsy, applied for an order of injunction restraining the widow from perpetrating, yet another  unlawful action in the Republic of Ghana. The application for injunction was served on the widow as she was preparing to leave the premises of the 37 Military Hospital after the highly compromised autopsy had been performed but she furiously threw the Court process served on her by the Court bailiff on the ground.

Even though the principal members of the deceased’s family have reached out to the widow, through her lawyers, to resolve the issues so that they can together organise a befitting burial and funeral for High Chief (Dr.) O.B. Lulu-Briggs as quickly as possible, the response of the widow has rather been two Writs of Summons issued against the Chief of the deceased’s family, Chief Dumo O.B.Lulu-Briggs, in one instance, and Chief Dumo  O. B. Lulu-Briggs and two other sons of the deceased, Mr. Senibo O. B. Lulu-Briggs and Mr. Sofiri O. B. Lulu-Briggs, (the oldest children of the deceased) in the second law suit. The matter continues in the High Court, Accra to determine who is the proper party to take custody of the mortal remains of the deceased for burial in Nigeria. Meanwhile, the investigation of the Ghana Police Service, the Nigerian Police Force and Interpol, continues, in order to establish the circumstances surrounding the death of High Chief (Dr.) O.B. Lulu-Briggs.

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
Latest news
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related news
- Advertisement -spot_img


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here